Tasked with writing a wedding card? The good news is that writing a wedding message is not as difficult as you may think.
Here are a few tips that Wedding & Function has compiled so that you’ll sure outdo your task:
- Congratulate the couple
- Add a wish tailored to the couple
- Wedding Messages when you can’t attend
- Belated wedding messages
- Sign off
Wedding Congratulatory Message
A perfect wedding card should share your enthusiasm for the special day with words of congratulations to the couple.
The type of words you choose to use will depend on your personality as well as your relationship with the couple.
It is understandable that not everyone is a wordsmith.
However, you must remember that the wedding congratulatory message is a symbol of support and a special way to let the couple know that they did a great job finding their perfect soulmate.
Congratulatory message tips
- You can use bible verses or song lyrics,
- Or write your own brief message.
Bible verses or song lyrics about love and marriage will give you the opportunity to express your emotions.
Bible Verses to use on Wedding Cards:
- Do everything in love. 1 Corinthians 16:14
- Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8
- Be devoted to one another in love. Honour one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10
- Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. Song of Solomon 8:7
- Love yesterday, today and forever. Jeremiah 31:3
- In the same way, you husbands must give honour to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God’s gift of new life. Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered. 1 Peter 3:7
Song lyrics for wedding cards
- “Where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face? Now I see it every day, and I know that I am the luckiest.” – “The Luckiest” by Ben Folds.
- “I could make you happy; make your dreams come true. Nothing that I wouldn’t do. Go to the ends of the earth for you to make you feel my love.” – “Make You Feel My Love” – Bob Dylan
- “You’re still the one I run to, the one that I belong to, you’re still the one I want for life.” – “You’re Still the One” by Shania Twain
Add a wish tailored to the couple
Now that you have written a congratulatory line it is time to write a short message of gratitude and well wishes to the couple.
Examples of messages you can use:
• To our favourite couple – may the most you hope for, be the least you get. Congratulations on your wedding.
• Wishing you all the best for today and always. Congrats!
• Our one message to you: Enjoy the day, enjoy life and enjoy each other.
• Life brings the best together; you two are an excellent match.
• Your wedding day will come and go, but may your love forever grow.
Wedding Messages When you can’t attend
If you are unable to attend the wedding you should notify the bridal couple. It could be that you are out of town, sick, or busy on that day here’s what you to write in the wedding card:
• “Congratulations on your big day, Wish I could be there to see it.”
• “So sorry I couldn’t be there to celebrate with you. But even though I’ll miss the dress, the bouquet and the first dance, I would never miss the chance to wish you all the very best in life as you begin this amazing journey together!”
• “I wish I could be at your wedding to give you both a hug and tell you how happy I am for you.”
Belated wedding messages
If you were unable to attend the wedding, yet you still want to let the couple know that you were thinking about them here’s how to say it:
- I know this card is a little late. I hope you don’t mind, but I figured it won’t matter much since I have the rest of your lives left to tell you congratulations on your marriage. I could have waited longer.
- By the time you get my late wedding card, you will have had a great head start to your happily ever after. Wishing you guys the best.
- We’re so sorry we are getting this card to you so late. We were busy at the time of your wedding and were unable to attend, and now we are just getting around to sending you a card. Wishing and sending both of you love. Congrats!
A warm sign off closing is like the bow on top of your card. You can choose one of the following or come up with your own:
- Much love to you both,
- Best wishes!
- Best wishes for your life together,
- All life’s best to the two of you,
- Congratulations and best wishes,
- Warmest congratulations,
- God bless you both,
- God bless you now and always,
There are no hard-and-fast rules when you are writing a wedding card, whether it’s for your friend or a family member.
1. Make sure that your opening line congratulates the couple,
2. Write your wishes to the couple
3. Use love quotes
4. Then sign off